Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Additional Assignment #2

How Kids Teach Themselves




1. What do you think? If learners are motivated, can they teach themselves?
I think that yes, if someone really has the desire and drive to learn then it is definitely possible for them to teach themselves.     2. If those motivated learners are kids, can they teach themselves?
I think to an extent they can teach themselves but it would certainly be a more limited selection as to what they could teach. However, as demonstrated in the video, the kids quickly taught themselves how to use computers in the other countries. 3. What conditions are necessary for kids to teach themselves? For anyone to teach him or herself?
I think the only thing that really needs to be present for the kids to learn is a really strong want to learn! If you can set your mind to it, then you are clearly willing to do what it takes to learn the best that you can. 4. What role do computers and internet access play in the process?
Computers and internet definitely facilitate the learning process easier and faster. With computers, children have immediate access to literally unlimited amounts of information about the world around them. However, I don't necessarily see them as an absolute requirement. With or without, a child can learn.5. What role does motivation, a desire to learn?
Motivation is what drives you to learn, it's what makes you willing to put up with all of the "brick walls" as Randy Pausch calls them. 6. What roles do a problem, a question or multiple problems or questions play in the process?
It depends on the learner, problems could easily discourage someone who is trying to learn. However, if the problems or questions are seen in the right light then they can really be good learning opportunities along the way. 7. How do you motivate someone to learn?
Feedback is really important for motivation. I also think that encouragement is very important as well. If students know that someone actually cares that they are doing well, then that will drive them to do even better.8. How are you motivated to learn?
I am motivated to learn by a number of things. One, I'm on scholarship so I kind of need to keep that up. However, even before I had a scholarship I was motivated to learn by feedback. Seeing how proud my parents would be when I got a good grade on a test or a paper really drove me to keep doing well in school.9. Can anyone who is not motivated to learn learn?
It's definitely more of a challenge to teach someone who is not motivated to learn, but it's not impossible.10. Do you teach yourself? When? Why?
I do often find myself teaching myself things. One specific time I remember very vividly was my freshmen year here at South. I was taking a math class and I just really didn't get the methods the teacher was using to teach the materials. Every day after class, I would go home and get my books out and just teach myself how to do it in a way that I understood it better. I did it because I knew that this was something that I could be good at and all it was was a misunderstanding in the teaching methods.11. What role does a teacher (either answer generally or use a specific example) play in your learning?
A teacher plays a huge role in my learning. One of my biggest motivators in high school was one of my teachers and I still talk to her to this day. Also, teachers I have now are important obviously because they are the ones teaching me the materials that I am currently learning. 12. What is the most important idea, question or emotional response you take away with you as a result of watching this video?
The most emotional response that I took away from this video was seeing the children in the less developed countries using the computers and figuring things out and watching them enjoy technology and actually being able to learn. 13. What other questions or issues are raised by this video that should be considered and discussed by aspiring teachers?
I think the most important thing for aspiring teachers to understand is how big of a role model they are going to be for their students and providing positive feedback and loving attention is priceless for a child.

No comments:

Post a Comment