Monday, November 1, 2010

C4T Teacher #3 Summary

The teacher that I was assigned to for C4T #3 was Jenny She. The title of her blog is Jenny's Learning Journey! The date of the first post I read was September 26, 2010 and was titled "We had  a Dragon Dance at the Cultural Festivals at our School." In this post she discussed how she volunteered to make a cultural item for her school's Cultural Festivities in September. The idea that she came up with was the Dragon Dance which she worked on with Helen Squires. To make the dance even more festive, they added Kung Fu and an Umbrella Dance to the performance. Below is the video that was included in her blog:
In my comments for this post I said the following: "Hi Jenny, My name is Morgan Mohler and I am a student at the University of South Alabama. I am currently taking EDM 310 with Dr. Strange. I think that it is really neat that your school has cultural festivities and they sound really fun and educational! When the content the children are learning is fun, they actually want to learn it! I also think that it is really important for students to learn about different cultures! Is this something y'all do once a year or once a month? It sounds like a really fun way for everyone to get involved!! If you would like to contact me you can via my blog: mohlermorganedm310.blogspot.com!"
When I revisited Jenny's blog for comment #2, she had no new post so I commented on the post prior to this one. It was dated July 7, 2010 and was titled "We Should Listen to the Kids."In this post she discusses how when she went to school, the students opinions were never really important to the teachers. However, when she became a teacher in the 21st century, she was required to use a Mac computer and had no idea how to. Even though she had no idea, she was embarassed to ask her colleagues because she did not want them to know that she did not know how to use it. The only way she was going to learn was by asking her students, so she did. They successfully taught her how to operate the Mac computer and she has now become quite skilled at it. She was surprised by the fact that whenever she asks them for help, they never ask why she doesn't already know how to do it or make remarks like that. She describes the students as having a collaborative learning nature which adults still struggle to achieve. In her blog post, she included a video that friend recently posted on Facebook. I have attached it below. In the video it shows a child discussing her feelings on how children are viewed today.


My comments for this post were as follows: "Hi, My name is Morgan Mohler and I am in Dr. Strange's EDM 310 class at the University of South Alabama! I really enjoyed this post, and the video as well! It is so refreshing to see adults not afraid to admit that they need help from younger people! Children are definitely a lot smarter than we often like to think that they are! I am so glad that you posted this video because it was a very touching video indeed! I think I will use it for my upcoming project in EDM 310 where we have to make a blog post assignment! If you would like to read my summaries for your post, or even my upcoming post about this video you can visit my blog at http://www.mohlermorganedm310.blogspot.com!"

No comments:

Post a Comment